[Mitai-announce] Fwd: Timely: Recognizing the ?International Day Against Execution in Iran? at MIT(Sun., Nov. 1, 5pm)

Julia Yoo juliayoo at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 28 15:04:25 EDT 2009

----- Forwarded message from boston.iranians at gmail.com -----
   Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:18:27 -0500
   From: Boston Iranians <boston.iranians at gmail.com>
 Subject: Recognizing the ?International Day Against Execution in Iran?
         (at MIT on Sun., Nov. 1 at 5pm)
     To: BIC

       Recognizing the ?International Day Against Execution in Iran?

                               presented by:

                       Iranian Human Rights Forum
        (for the advancement of Democracy & Human Rights in Iran)

                          Sunday, Nov. 1, 2009
                                5-7 pm

                        MIT Lecture Hall 56-114
                 (Building 56, First floor, Room 114)
              77 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02139
     (Map: http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?mapterms=56&mapsearch=go)

            This program starts promptly at 5:00pm with the
        Screening of some Informative Video Documentaries about:
          ?Torture, Rape, and Execution by the Iranian Regime?
                         to be followed by a:
                         Public Discussion.

This month program is organized in the recognition of the 7th
     ?World Day against the Death Penalty?* (Oct. 10)
and
   ?International Day Against Execution in Iran? (Oct. 30).

                           Important Note:
We understand the sensitivity of some of our audience and to respect their
privacy, we do not record any name, picture, and/or video from our audience
during our programs and would like the request the same to you.

                             More Info:
Iran, once again, has kept its top ranking among all the countries in the
world for having the highest number of executions after China. However, Iran
is actually number one in the world when it comes to death penalty per
capita. For example in 2007, according to official figures from Amnesty
international, Iran with a population of about 65 millions had 317
executions
while China with a population of over 1.3 billions executed 470 people
(proportionally 20+ times less!). More striking is the fact that from the
total
number of 32 juvenile executions in the whole world in 2005-2008, Iran was
responsible for 25 of them.

Since its inception in 1979, Islamic Republic of Iran has severely used
torture, rape, and execution as convenient tools for terrorizing the
society, especially when it has found itself against the mass
political/social
opposition movements. For example during 1988-1989, thousands of political
prisoners in Iran were mass executed due to their political views and buried
in mass graves such as Khavaran where the current regime of
Khamenei-Ahmadinejad have tried to erase its remaining signs from the earth.

The video documentaries from the real victims of torture, rape and execution
in Iran which will be screened in this program should not leave any doubt in
the mind of any conscience individual to take a human stance against the
brutality of this regime and the motivations behind the crimes repeated by
Khameni-Ahmadinejad regime against the Iranian people in the aftermath of
the recent fraud election in Iran.

                             Sponsored by:
                  Boston Iranians Coalition (B.I.C.)
     (United front in Boston for Democracy & Human Rights in Iran)
                       Boston.Iranians at gmail.com

The "Iranian Human Rights Forum" is held on the FIRST SUNDAY of every month
at 5pm at MIT. For updates and details, please visit:

                    B.I.C. Event Page on Facebook
          http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=198922894761

                   B.I.C. Event Page on Kodoom.com
 http://events.kodoom.com/en/organizer/Boston-Iranians-Coalition-B-I-3068932

----- End forwarded message -----

*Recognizing the “International Day Against Execution in **Iran**”*

* *

[...]

capita. For example in 2007, according to official figures, Iran with a