[Mitai-announce] 'Examined Life' FREE screening (Thurs 7/2)

kayvan zainabadi kayvan at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 29 14:46:16 EDT 2009

Please join us this Thursday for the following event:

'Examined Life' free movie screening & discussion Thursday, July 02, 2009

Time: 6:00p–8:00p

Location: 6-120 <http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?mapterms=6-120&mapsearch=go>

In Examined Life, filmmaker Astra Taylor accompanies some of today's most
influential thinkers on a series of unique excursions through places and
spaces that hold particular resonance for them and their ideas.

Peter Singer's thoughts on the ethics of consumption are amplified against
the backdrop of Fifth Avenue's posh boutiques.

Slavoj Zizek questions current beliefs about the environment while sifting
through a garbage dump.

Michael Hardt ponders the nature of revolution while surrounded by symbols
of wealth and leisure.

Judith Butler and a friend stroll through San Francisco's Mission District
questioning our culture's fixation on individualism.

And while driving through Manhattan, Cornel West compares philosophy to jazz
and blues, reminding us how intense and invigorating a life of the mind can
be.

Offering privileged moments with great thinkers from fields ranging from
moral philosophy to cultural theory, Examined Life reveals philosophy's
power to transform the way we see the world around us and imagine our place
in it.

*Dinner* and discussion facilitated by Professor Sally
Haslange<http://www.mit.edu/%7Ephilos/haslanger.html>r
to follow the movie.
Web site: http://zeitgeistfilms.com/examinedlife/

Open to: the general public

Sponsor(s): Amnesty International, Department of Linguistics and Philosophy,
Graduate Student Life Grants, Graduate Student Council