[Mitai-announce] Reminder - Genocide in Film Series! Tomorrow

Elan Pavlov elan at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 20 13:32:42 EST 2009

Hey everyone!

MIT-STAND (A Student anti-Genocide Coalition) and Amnesty International
are sponsoring a film series focusing on awareness of genocide during
IAP. The movies that we have selected highlight lesser-known episodes
and aspects of genocide in modern history to illustrate that the
phenomenon is not insulated or exclusive to a single group but a
recurrent theme of our times that must be addressed in its various
contexts.  We will have dinner and a movie in 6-120 at 6:00PM during the
Wednesdays of IAP, including TOMORROW!  Extra details about the individual
films can be found below.

Wed Jan 21, 06-08:00pm, 6-120
"The Great Silence" (2007)
Since the late 1990s, more people have died in war-torn Congo than in
any conflict since World War II. "The Great Silence: Rape in the Congo"
(2007) exposes the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war in this
perennially war-torn region.
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157650/

Wed Jan 28, 06-08:00pm, 6-120
"Las Madres de la Plaza" (1985)
"Las Madres de la Plaza" (1985) discusses the massive disappearances and
kidnappings that occurred from 1976-1983 in Argentina during the
tumultuous rise of a military dictatorship.
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089460/

--
| Stephen D. Fried
| sdfried at mit.edu