[Mitai-announce] Come to the Genocide in Film Series! Starting TONIGHT

Stephen Fried sdfried at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 14 12:43:25 EST 2009

Hey everyone!

MIT-STAND (A Student anti-Genocide Coalition) and Amnesty International
are sponsoring a film series focusing on awareness of genocide during
IAP. The movies that we have selected highlight lesser-known episodes
and aspects of genocide in modern history to illustrate that the
phenomenon is not insulated or exclusive to a single group but a
recurrent theme of our times that must be addressed in its various
contexts.  We will have dinner and a movie in 6-120 at 6:00PM during the
Wednesdays of IAP, starting tonight!  Extra details about the individual
films can be found below.

Wed Jan 14, 06-08:00pm, 6-120
"Amen." (2002)
"Amen." (2002) examines the complex nature of Jews in Christian
narratives, and what effect this had on the deteriorating position of
European Jews in the 1940s. This film raises the question of complicity
of the Catholic Church with the Holocaust.
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280653/

Wed Jan 21, 06-08:00pm, 6-120
"The Great Silence" (2007)
Since the late 1990s, more people have died in war-torn Congo than in
any conflict since World War II. "The Great Silence: Rape in the Congo"
(2007) exposes the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war in this
perennially war-torn region.
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157650/

Wed Jan 28, 06-08:00pm, 6-120
"Las Madres de la Plaza" (1985)
"Las Madres de la Plaza" (1985) discusses the massive disappearances and
kidnappings that occurred from 1976-1983 in Argentina during the
tumultuous rise of a military dictatorship.
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089460/

--

--