[Mitai-announce] [TOMORROW] Real World Projects to Empower Sex Slavery Survivors: 7pm, [MIT: 2-132]

Chen-rei Wan cwan at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 9 19:33:24 EST 2009

Please come! :)

cherry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Are
you interested in empowering girls who were victims of sex slavery?

Always want to work on SOMETHING meaningful yet don't know where to find it?

*Here is your chance!*

*Global Poverty Initiative* is partnering with *Somaly Mam Foundation* (
somaly.org)  to improve the lives of the survivors from sex slavery in
Cambodia.

Various projects include

   - *Education*: set up accounting and english curricula and communication
   platform to teach the girls living in shelters
   - *Energy & Technology*: solar panels and internet installation  for the
   shelters where the girls are housed
   - *Social Entrepreneurship*: set up a sustainable scarf-weaving business
   to support the girls as well as to raise awareness about sex victims. *More
   than 60K is already committed to the project and the business is endorsed by
   Marie Clare and Body Shop!*

To learn more, come to our info session at *7pm on Tuesday, February 10th
[2-132].* We will give a presentation on the projects, background of sex
slavery and answer any questions you might have. We are looking for
dedicated students both as leaders and team players.

See you soon!

If you have any questions, please email Cherry Wan at *cwan at mit.edu *or
Tiffany Guo at *tiffguo at mit.edu*