[Mitai-announce] Updates on Darfur and Burma

Elan Pavlov elan at MIT.EDU
Sat Oct 13 18:26:22 EDT 2007

This Wednesday we will have two diplomatic updates on situations that we
at Amnesty have been following.
At 7pm we will have an update on the situation in Darfur from Alex de
Waal who has been involved in the peace talks. This will be held in room
4-270. This event is hosted by MIT STAND (http://mitdarfur.org/ and
facebook group http://mit.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5163304921).
At 8pm we will have an update on the situation in Burma from Mark
McDowell who is a Canadian diplomat responsible for Burma. This will be
held in room 56-114.
Please come to one or both of these events.

Details follow below:

Update on the situation in Darfur:
==================================
Alex de Waal is the director of Justice Africa, based in London, a fellow
of Harvard's Global Equity Initiative, and an expert on the current
situation in Darfur, Sudan in northeast Africa.  He has been involved in
the peace negotiations in Sudan, and more specifically, Darfur, for the
past decade.  As the war is escalating and the genocide continues in that
region, Alex and others are searching for a long-lasting solution to the
conflict.  He has written several books on this topic, including his
latest, just released, entitled "War in Darfur and the Search for Peace."
Come hear him talk about the current situation in Darfur, what can be done
in the future to alleviate the violence, and his new book.

7:00-Presentation
7:40-Q&A
8:15-Book signing (for those interested in buying his new book)

Update on the situation in Burma:
chapter and the Amnesty International Northeast Regional Office.

Mark A. McDowell, a Canadian diplomat who covered Burma while stationed in
Bangkok for the last four years will talk about the situation in Burma.
Mark traveled to Burma every month while stationed in Thailand (which
hosts a large part of the exiled opposition) and is very knowledgeable
about the local situation in Burma.

Mark is currently on leave from his position to study at the Kennedy School.

We apologize for the late notice as well as the close spacing of the
events.

Elan
----
There is nothing men more readily give themselves to than pushing their
own beliefs.  When ordinary means fail, they add commandment, violence,
fire and sword.
      --Michel Eyquem de Montaigne