[Mitai-announce] MIT Darfur Fundraiser (this week)

Kayvan kayvan at MIT.EDU
Tue May 15 00:36:30 EDT 2007

A very important event this week:

1) MIT Fundraiser for Darfur

We are selling specially designed 'MIT Save Darfur 2007' T-shirts
(http://web.mit.edu/kayvan/Public/finalshirtdesign.jpg) for $10 and
wristbands for $2 to raise money for the Save Darfur Coalition
(www.savedarfur.org). Please stop by our Lobby 10 table
(http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?mapterms=10&mapsearch=go) this week to
pickup your very own - all proceeds will goto charity. Last day is this
Thursday.

Also, just FYI there will be a MIT Die-in 4 Darfur this Thursday:

While MIT has been dragging its feet for the past 9 months regarding a
response to the atrocities in Darfur, an estimated 90,000 civilians have
perished according to World Health Organization statistics. Join us to
represent these voiceless victims and drive home the message to our
Institute that we want action now.

We will lie in solidarity as a somber reminder of the human cost of
complacency.

WHEN:  Thursday, May 17 (11:45AM-12:15pm)
WHERE: Lobby 7 (http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?mapterms=7&mapsearch=go)
WHY:   Visually show the true cost of 9 months of complacency
HOW:   We will lie down for 5 minutes of silence (please wear our
specially designed MIT Save Darfur t-shirts or simply wear black)

Rev. & Dr. Gloria White Hammond, the co-chair of the Massachusetts
Coalition to Save Darfur, will join us at the die-in to speak about her
experiences during her last visit to Darfur. http://diein.org for more info.

Best,
Kayvan