[Mitai-announce] Darfur-URGENT UPDATE

Kayvan kayvan at MIT.EDU
Tue May 1 13:06:12 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I met with Secretary of the Corporation Kirk Kolenbrander yesterday and
I have very important news: the MIT Executive Committee is meeting this
FRIDAY to decide MIT's response to the genocide in Darfur, including any
new initiatives.

Guys this is it, I am asking you to re-double your efforts. Here's how:

1) If you HAVE NOT stopped by the Presidents office yet, PLEASE DO SO TODAY:

Room 3-208 (http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?mapterms=3-208&mapsearch=go)

Share your concerns about the situation in Darfur and how MIT has done
nothing to address it. Mention you want to see MIT to take on new
initiatives to really help the people of Darfur (how? read here:
http://www-tech.mit.edu/V127/N19/letters.html)

2) If you HAVE stopped by the president's office, please call today to
follow up: (617) 25 3-0148

Say you want to follow up to see if the president received your message
and what her thoughts were on it. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

3) After you stop by and your phone call, open the following NEW letter,
modify it to your liking and send it off via interdepartmental mail to:

-President Hockfield (send to 3-208)
http://web.mit.edu/kayvan/Public/Pres.%20Hockfield%20sample%20letter.doc

For inspiration read the following letter in today's TECH:
http://www-tech.mit.edu/V127/N22/letters.html

Make sure to do this by Wednesday the latest to ensure they receive the
letters before their meeting on FRIDAY.

This is the last sprint of a very long journey guys, standing together
now we can hopefully pressure MIT to act & become the kind of Institute
we can all be pround to be a part of. I am making a personal appeal,
please do these three things by tomorrow. I really feel we can make a
difference with a combined, concerted effort in this last leg of the race.

Best,
Kayvan

PS: MIT Amnesty meeting tonight at 6pm in 56-167, please stop by.
PSS: See pics from the Darfur Die-in in Boston Common this past Sunday
(14 of us from MIT attended):
http://mit.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2027358&id=705169