[Mitai-announce] TODAY: The Holocaust in German-occupied Soviet Russia

Shankar Mukherji mukherji at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 12 15:10:02 EST 2007

Just a quick reminder that we are hosting our final monthly lecture for the
semester this evening at 7pm in 4-270 - Josh Rubenstein is a wonderful speaker
and you definitely don't want to miss him.

The details:

Speaker: Joshua Rubenstein

Time: 7:00p?9:00p

Location: 4-270

Amnesty International Monthly Human Rights Lecture Series

The history of World War II has seared into our collective memory places of
unspeakable tragedy: Auschwitz, Birkeneau, Treblinka and others. An often
overlooked chapter in the annals of the Holocaust is the plight of Jews in
Nazi-occupied Soviet Russia during the war. Joshua Rubenstein, who serves as
the director of the Northeast Regional Office of Amnesty USA, will discuss his
soon to be released book on the subject. Rubenstein, whose other works include
editing the KGB file of physicist and human rights activist Andrei Sakharov for
publication and a celebrated biography of Ilya Ehrenburg, is a fellow of the
Davis Center at Harvard in addition to being one of Amnesty's two
longest-serving employees.

Food will be provided.