[Mitai-announce] [Phrj-list] Save the date! "Forced Labor in the Global Economy" event May 14 at MIT

Program on Human Rights & Justice phrj at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 7 09:51:48 EST 2005

* S A V E   T H E   D A T E *

The MIT Program on Human Rights and Justice (PHRJ)
and the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) World Service Trust

announce a special event on

FORCED LABOR IN THE GLOBAL ECONOMY
Saturday May 14, 2005
9:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
____________

This event will feature the taping of panel discussions by BBC Television's
World Debate and National Public Radio's On Point (produced by WBUR/Boston)
on the complex problem of forced labor as it exists in the world today.  It
will be held at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology shortly after the
release of the International Labor Organization's Global Report on Forced
Labor.  The report will announce the ILO's estimates of the monetary value
of the forced labor economy and the number of people currently working in
forced labor situations.

  The BBC World Debate is hosted by Tim Sebastian and distributed worldwide
to 275 million homes.
On Point is hosted by Tom Ashbrook, a former deputy managing editor of the
Boston Globe,
and is distributed to NPR stations across the United States.

The panelists will include

Mary Robinson
Head of the Ethical Globalization Initiative, former President of Ireland
and former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights

Jean-Robert Cadet
Former slave and author of Restavec: From Haitian Slave Child to
Middle-Class American

Please join us for this important event, which is free and open to the public.
Coffee and refreshments will be served.
Additional details will be available this spring; visit
http://web.mit.edu/phrj for more information.
RSVPs requested to: phrj at mit.edu

M I T   C E N T E R   F O R   I N T E R N A T I O N A L   S T U D I E S