[Mitai-announce] [Phrj-list] Evidence Cooking and Civil Liberties: from Korematsu to Guantanamo Bay Feb. 26 at MIT

Susan Frick fricks at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 18 14:19:30 EST 2005

>EVIDENCE COOKING AND CIVIL LIBERTIES:
>FROM KOREMATSU TO GUANTANAMO BAY
>
>A Day of Remembrance
>
>Saturday, February 26, 2005
>2:00 - 3:30pm
>_____________
>
>Civil Liberties Lawyer Harvey Silverglate and
>New England JACL Board Member Carl Takei
>with Introductions by Kenneth Oye, MIT Professor of Political Science
>

>MIT's Tang Center
>Building E51, Room 095
>70 Memorial Drive, Cambridge
>(near the Kendall Square T stop)
>on-line map:
>http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?mapterms=E51

>MIT's Program on Human Rights and Justice
>MIT's Center for International Studies
>The New England Chapter of the Japanese American Citizen's League
>The Asian American Resource Workshop and
>MIT Amnesty International
>
>During WWII, the U.S. Supreme Court's Korematsu decision ruled that it was
>constitutional to detain over 112,000 Japanese Americans without trial.
>And for sixty years, that decision that has been reviled as a blot on our
>national history. But today, against the backdrop of the War on Terror,
>the federal government is using a disturbingly similar set of tools to
>evade the oversight of the courts and the public. Civil liberties lawyer
>Harvey Silverglate and New England JACL Board Member Carl Takei will
>discuss these echoes of the past, and shed light on some little known
>aspects of the wartime internment cases that have significant implications
>for Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo Bay, and beyond.
>
>For a taste of what's to come in the lecture, see their joint article
>"Hiding the Gulag," published in the Boston Phoenix:
>http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/other_stories/multi-page/documents/03866773.asp
>
>_____________
>
>Light refreshments will be served.

Please forward this announcement to interested students, colleagues, and
friends.

Susan Frick
Program Coordinator
Program on Human Rights and Justice