[Mitai-announce] A Conversation with Kanan Makiya: Jan. 8, 12pm in Killian Hall

starrforum starrforum at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 5 11:47:24 EST 2004

Please forward this message to colleagues and friends who might be
interested in this event, which is open to the public.  Thank you.

THE CIS STARR FORUM
M I T    C E N T E R    F O R    I N T E R N A T I O N A L    S T U D I E S
The CIS Starr Forum presents a special IAP event:

A conversation with
Kanan Makiya
on the end of Saddam and the future of Iraq

Thursday, January 8,  2004
noon - 1:30 p.m.

Kanan Makiya, the Sylvia K. Hassenfeld Professor of Islamic and Middle
Eastern Studies at Brandeis University, was born in Baghdad but left Iraq
to study architecture at M.I.T.  In 1981, Makiya left the practice of
architecture and began to write a book about Iraq, Republic of Fear (1989),
which became a best-seller after Saddam Hussein's invasion of Kuwait. His
next book, The Monument (1991), is an essay on the aesthetics of power and
kitsch. Both Republic of Fear and The Monument were written under the
pseudonym, Samir al-Khalil. The award-winning Cruelty and Silence: War,
Tyranny, Uprising and the Arab World (1993), followed in 1993.

Makiya has played a central role in Harvard's Iraq Research and
Documentation Project, which has collected resources on and created a
database about the rule of Iraq's Ba'ath Party. He is one of the
influential Iraqi exiles who advocated the removal of Saddam's regime. He
is currently an adviser to Iraq's Interim Governing Council and a member of
the panel working on the drafting of a new Iraqi constitution.

Hosted by Professor Kenneth Oye
MIT Political Science Department

Killian Hall
Massachusetts Institute of Technology