[Mitai-announce] MIT: TECHNOLOGY AND HUMAN RIGHTS CONFERENCE - April 29-May 2

Gan Golan gangolan at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 6 03:58:03 EDT 2004

***SAVE THE DATE***

MIT:  TECHNOLOGY AND HUMAN RIGHTS CONFERENCE
Discussion Panels:  Thurs April 29 & Fri April 30
Skill-Building Workshops: Sat May 1 & Sun May 2

“Using Technology To Enhance The Struggle For Human Rights”

Special Guests: The Ruckus Society, Prometheus Radio Project, The Center for
Reflective Community Practice

This year’s conference will focus on how Technology and Activism are being
fused
in creative ways to advance the cause of Human Rights. We are starting with two
discussion panels, and then jump into a full weekend of training workshops that
aim to put real skills into the hands of activists and local community members.

* Discussion Panels – How Technology both threatens and enhances Human Rights
* Skill-Building Workshops – Tech Activism, Community Empowerment, and more!
* Create your own Workshops – sign up!
* Real Community-based Projects to work on!

Go here to register: http://web.mit.edu/tac/www/conference/index.html

More details follow:

-----------------------------
DISCUSSION PANELS
-----------------------------

Thurs, Apr 29 5:30-7pm – Threats to Human Rights in the Digital Realm
     Panelists:
     Mark Lloyd, Civil Rights Telecommunications Forum
     Chris Csikszentmihalyi, The MIT Media Lab

and more!

Fri Apr 30 5:00-7pm – Advancing Human Rights through the use of Technology
     Panelists:
     John Sellers, The Ruckus Society
     Pete Tridish, Prometheus Radio Project

and more!

----------------------------------
WEEKEND WORKSHOPS
----------------------------------

Sat May 1 & Sun May 2

* COMMUNITY RADIO
        -  ‘Pirate Radio’ for Beginners
        -  Radio Systems And Components
        -  Sound Mixing And Production
        -  Antenna Building, Tuning & Installation

* COMMUNITY WIRELESS
        - Autonomous Networks
        - Homebrew Antennas  -  Pringles and Coffee ‘cantennas’
        - Designing Networks for Community Needs
        - Running on Rooftops – urban field installation

* TECH ACTIVISM/ DIRECT ACTION TRAINING
        - Culture Jamming & Creative Media Interventions
        - NVDA history, training and tactics
        - Banner-Hangs, Lock-downs and other fun stuff
        - Using Technology to Mobilize

* IN DEVELOPMENT:
          - Streetwise Videography for Domestic Human Rights situations
        - Digital Story-telling for underrepresented communities
        - Smart Mobs & Mag-Mobs
        - And much more!

--------------------------
DIY WORKSHOPS
--------------------------

While we have organized a number of core workshops, this is meant to be a
participatory event.  So we invite you to come and teach your own brand of
Tech-Activism to an eager audience: Video Witnessing? Robotic Protest Puppetry?
Smart Mobbing? Culture Jamming? The sky is the limit. We welcome your
participation!

http://web.mit.edu/tac/www/conference/create.html

--------------------------
REAL OUTCOMES:
--------------------------

This conference will mark the initiation of concrete, community-based
technology
projects in local under-served communities.  Community Radio and Community
Wireless are the two dedicated community projects that will be advanced during
this conference. If you would like to join one of these projects, or bring one
of these projects to your community or local organization, please visit the
website.

We request a $5-10 donation to help cover costs. No one will be turned away due
to a lack of funds.

Please keep visiting our site for more information and updates:
http://web.mit.edu/tac/www/conference/index.html

Discussion Panels sponsored by: The MIT Program on Human Rights and Justice
Weekend Workshops sponsored by: Design That Matters (DtM)
Special Thanks to the Center for Reflective Community Practice. Technology and
Culture Forum, and The Organizers Collaborative

---------------
SPONSOR US
---------------

This conference is a mostly volunteer effort. Any amount you contribute will
help us make this event low-cost or no-cost to participants, particularly to
those from underserved communities. To offer support, or to receive a list of
what we can offer you in return for your sponsorship, please contact us:

E-mail: gangolan at mit.edu  cc: phrj at mit.edu
Phone: (617) 258-7614
Building E38-600
292 Main Street