[Mitai-announce] 9/27 (Sat.) 6 pm: Movie: "Battle of Chile"

hemisphere-announce@MIT.EDU hemisphere-announce at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 25 14:55:59 EDT 2003

PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT

To mark the 30th anniversary of "The Other September 11"
-- the US-supported military coup in Chile in 1973 --
the MIT Western Hemisphere Project is screening another
two classic films by Patricio Guzman:

    "The Battle of Chile: The Coup" (1978)
    "Chile: Obstinate Memory" (1997)

    6 pm, Saturday, September 27
    MIT Room 6-120

DETAILS: "The Battle of Chile" records the political
ferment -- and foreign intervention -- in Chile in the
months leading up to the coup, and includes stunning
footage of the coup itself.  It was made in 1978 but was
banned in Chile for many years.  In 1997 Guzman took the
original film back to Chile and showed it to audiences who
were viewing it for the first time; their reaction is the
focus of our second film, "Chile: Obstinate Memory."

OTHER ACTIVITIES: Over the next two Saturdays (October 4
and October 11, we will screen additional movies,  And on
October 18 we are sponsoring an all-day discussion at MIT;
speakers include Chappell Lawson (Political Science);
Elizabeth Garrels (Latin American Studies); Sergio Reyes
(a former political prisoner in Chile); and Noam Chomsky
(activist and Institute Professor at MIT); in addition,
a representative of Chilean author Isabel Allende will
deliver a message from her.  And between now and October
18 we also have a continuing exhibit of photographs at the
MIT Student Center (2nd floor).

These activities are all organized by the MIT Western
Hemisphere Project and co-sponsored by the MIT Large Event
Fund; the Council for the Arts; and the Associate Provost
for the Arts.  All events are open to everyone; admission
is free; please arrive early.

For more information see http://web.mit.edu/hemisphere/events/.

CONTACT & DIRECTIONS

E-mail: mailto:hemisphere-admin at mit.edu