[Mitai-announce] 09/18/03 Meeting Minutes

Emily C Havens emily13 at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 18 22:13:24 EDT 2003

09/18/03 Amnesty Meeting Minutes:

Meeting began at approximately 8:00.

Individuals present:  Shankar, Mindy, David, Lynn, Daniel, Nick, Shefali, Ali,
Giovanni, and myself.

We will be showing "Beyond Rangoon" this Sunday the 21st at 7 PM in room 1-190!

New members introduced themselves and briefly discussed their interests in AI:
  -Daniel is very involved with Student Pugwash and mentioned that they might
   be interested in collaborating on an event about small arms trade or civil
   liberty violations following 9/11.
  -Shefali is the head of UTR.  They will be holding an AIDS Club night later
   this term to raise money to donate to MSF (Doctors Without Borders).  We
   will probably co-sponsor.  They are also planning to have a movie night
   every other Thursday night (Amnesty's off weeks) at 7:30.  They are planning
   to show documentaries that will tend to focus on human rights' violations.
   Amnesty will determine co-sponsorship on a movie-by-movie basis.
  -Nick and Giovanni have been very involved with Amnesty before at other
   locations.  Ali also presented general interest.

Discussed possible events for this semester:
  -Dave will look into more specifics about Burma for the next meeting
  -Shankar will look into the Death Penalty
  -Lynn and Giovanni will report back on human trafficking
  -I will look into specifics on Chechnya/Russia

We need to start thinking about possible events for IAP.

***Wrote urgent action letters.  If you wish to advocate against the
"disappearance" of four individuals in Nepal, visit www.amnestyusa.org/urgent/
and send an urgent action letter!

***If you would like to be more informed in general regarding current Amnesty
International concerns, please visit www.amnestyusa.org or www.amnesty.org

Meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:15.  Next meeting will be 10/02/03.

That is all...