[Mitai-announce] 10/4 (Sat.) 6 pm: Movie: "The Pinochet Case"

hemisphere-announce@MIT.EDU hemisphere-announce at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 2 16:18:26 EDT 2003

PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT

To mark the 30th anniversary of "The Other September 11"
-- the US-supported military coup in Chile in 1973 --
the MIT Western Hemisphere Project is screening another
classic film by Patricio Guzman:

    "The Pinochet Case" (2002)

    6 pm, Saturday, October 4
    MIT Room 6-120

Along with the film we will have poetry and live music.

DETAILS:

About General Pinochet:

   "In the United States, as you know,
    we are sympathetic with what you are trying to do."

    -- Henry Kissinger, US Secretary of State, 1976

   "It is you who brought democracy to Chile."

    -- Margaret Thatcher, former British premier, 1999

   "137 politicians, 338 students, 92 public employees,
    16 intellectuals & artists, 70 members of the military,
    7 clergymen, 12 secretaries, 247 trade-unionists, 188
    professionals, & 1993 citizens with no affiliation to
    political parties, trade unions, or any organization."

    -- Spanish judge Baltasar Garzon, listing some of
       General Pinochet's victims while indicting him
       for genocide, terrorism, and torture in 1998

Guzman's film looks at the international legal effort to
put General Pinochet on trial.  In doing so, it relates the
experience of Chileans who were victimized by the coup and
the ensuing military dictatorship.

OTHER ACTIVITIES: Next Saturday (October 11) we will screen
another movie.  And on October 18 we are sponsoring an all-
day discussion at MIT; speakers include Chappell Lawson
(Political Science); Elizabeth Garrels (Latin American
Studies); Sergio Reyes (an activist and former political
prisoner in Chile); and Noam Chomsky (an activist and
Institute Professor at MIT); in addition, we will deliver
a message on behalf of Chilean author Isabel Allende.
Between now and October 18 we also have a continuing exhibit
of photographs at the MIT Student Center (2nd floor).

These activities are all organized by the MIT Western
Hemisphere Project and co-sponsored by the MIT Large Event
Fund; the Council for the Arts; and the Associate Provost
for the Arts.  All events are open to everyone; admission
is free; please arrive early.

For more information see http://web.mit.edu/hemisphere/events/.

CONTACT & DIRECTIONS

E-mail: mailto:hemisphere-admin at mit.edu