[Mitai-announce] 12/9: Hemisphere: Funding for Your Summer Project!

hemisphere-announce@MIT.EDU hemisphere-announce at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 4 09:14:57 EST 2003

   PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT

   MIT Western Hemisphere Project
   Open Meeting, 7 pm, Tuesday, December 9, MIT Room 4-231

AGENDA:

1. PARTICULARLY FOR UNDERGRADUATES WHO WANT TO SPEND NEXT
   SUMMER OFF-CAMPUS, we have a presentation by CollegeCorps,
   a non-profit group that helps students find opportunities
   to work or volunteer and also helps them get funding.  We
   are working with this group to make sure that MIT under-
   graduates understand and have access to the program.  A
   letter inviting you to Tuesday's presentation is below.
   (You do _not_ have to be an MIT undergraduate to apply.)

2. We will also discuss Hemisphere activities for January: a
   workshop on how to make your public-service project more
   effective (for information and sign-up details, please
   see http://web.mit.edu/hemisphere/courses/service04.shtml);
   a documentary film series, and some discussions on free/fair
   trade.

3. Finally we will sketch out Hemisphere activities for the
   Spring and beyond: the poetry of Julia de Burgos (Puerto
   Rico); a discussion or three on Cuba; Mexican puppet
   theater; and other fun stuff.

INVITATION FROM CollegeCorps

::   Dear members of
::   the MIT Western Hemisphere Project
::   and members of the MIT community at large ...
::
::
::   My name is Adam Kalamchi.  I'm a junior at Harvard University and
::   a co-founder of CollegeCorps.  Like you, I found a need to become
::   involved in the issues that touch lives across the world.  But as
::   an undergraduate with little experience, it was difficult for me
::   to become personally involved in international issues, especially
::   relating to economic development.  The lack of organized systems
::   through which to find relevant programs and funding was a serious
::   obstacle.  Out of this frustration, however, a great organization
::   has emerged that focuses on getting more undergraduates involved in
::   international development, with program offerings in the Western
::   Hemisphere (e.g., Ecuador, Costa Rica, Mexico) and elsewhere.
::
::   I am writing to let you know about CollegeCorps because I believe
::   our goals are aligned with those of the Western Hemisphere Project,
::   and most likely with your personal goals as well.
::
::   In brief, CollegeCorps is an organization started by undergraduates
::   that is designed specifically for other undergraduates.  We provide
::   funding and coordinate the placement of students in international
::   organizations all over the world.  We have selected the best NGOs
::   for students to work with.  Through our easy, on-line application,
::   you will be applying to over 25 different programs simultaneously.
::   Matching your preferences and skills, you can find your best match
::   among all these researched and proven programs.
::
::   If you apply and are accepted, you will find that, like the Western
::   Hemisphere Project, CollegeCorps combines academic work with hands-
::   on experience.  To help you prepare for your summer away, we have
::   an on-campus training program in the spring that will bring our
::   successful applicants together with Peace Corps volunteers, Red
::   Cross Workers, and professors from around the Boston area.  After
::   the training program, we believe you will find yourself well
::   equipped to work at your host NGO over the summer.
::
::   CollegeCorps has received substantial advising support from the
::   United Nations and The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, while
::   working with The American Red Cross and the Peace Corps on outreach
::   and public awareness of our program.
::
::   For more information, please see www.thecollegecorps.org.  We will
::   be coming to MIT to hold an information session on December 9, but
::   if you are interested in applying please take a look at the
::   application as soon as possible, as recommendations are required.
::
::   Applications are due January 10th, 2004 for summer 2004 placements.
::
::   Thanks and I look forward to meeting you soon!

MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT & DIRECTIONS

More: http://web.mit.edu/hemisphere/meetings
E-mail: mailto:hemisphere-admin at mit.edu
Web: http://web.mit.edu/hemisphere/