[miso-users] run-events-analysis stuck at "Waiting on 8 threads..."

Yarden Katz yarden at csail.mit.edu
Tue Oct 15 20:48:44 EDT 2013

Hi Maayan,

Could you please include the output?  The command you showed does not use "--use-cluster", so all it would do is use 8 virtual threads (since you used "-p 8") to split the jobs.  I'm not sure why it got stuck -- what does stdout/stderr say for individual genes/events?  Which MISO version are you using?  Having the output would help debug, or a small BAM file example to try out that reproduces this behavior.

The "-p" option and "--use-cluster" are mutually exclusive, so to run on cluster you just drop "-p" and use "--use-cluster" (with "--chunk-jobs", optionally.)  You have to make sure your cluster submission command is set correctly in the settings file.  The default is "qsub" or "bsub" so all MISO would do is split the genes/events into chunks (specified by --chunk-jobs) and make those into bash scripts, one bash script for each job.  Then it would use the command in the settings file to launch these jobs, e.g. "bsub batch_1.sh".  So the command in the settings file needs to be such that it takes as argument a bash script and submits it to the cluster, using whatever procedure your system uses, since MISO cannot support the nuances of all cluster submission systems which vary widely across servers.

Best, --Yarden