[miso-users] Problem with discarded reads from strand-specific library

Andreas S. Richter arichter at ie-freiburg.mpg.de
Wed Aug 7 14:53:10 EDT 2013

Dear MISO users,

I recently started using MISO with input data from strand-specific libraries. I configured MISO accordingly by setting "strand = fr-secondstrand".

When inspecting the batch-logs generated by run_events_analysis.py, I noticed the following curious behaviour:
* For the vast majority of events on the - strand, nearly all reads are discarded due to strand violation (example below)
* For events on the + strand, only few reads are discarded by this filter.

I visually inspected the reads of the BAM file together with the annotation in IGV and both looked correct regarding strandedness.

Can someone please explain me this behaviour? I am using version 2 of mm10 alternative events and MISO version 0.4.9.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,
Andreas

Example output of run_events_analysis.py:
Computing Psi for 1 genes...
- 1:97661831:97662018:- at 1:97654600:97654689:- at 1:97643902:97646361:-
Filtered out 61 read pairs that were on same strand.
Filtered out 60 reads that had no paired mate.
- Total read pairs: 2458
No. reads discarded due to strand violation: 2458
Only 0 reads in gene, skipping (needed >= 20 reads)