[Macpartners] McAfee Security Installer Issue on OS X

Justin Fleming jtflem at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 14 16:29:25 EST 2013

Good afternoon, everyone.

This message is intended for those who have not been following the thread on the IT Partners list.

Due to a mistake on the part of McAfee, the company has accidentally revoked their code-signing key and invalidated their signing certificate for all of their Mac software, effectively blocking the installation of McAfee Security on OS X (at least on 10.8 as far as we can tell at the moment).

IS&T has been able to replicate the issue on Macs running OS X 10.8, we've found that temporarily disabling Mountain Lion's Gatekeeper security feature does not allow the installation to proceed.  When trying to run the McAfee Security installer distributed from the Software Grid, the user will see the following message and will be unable to initiate the installation:

[cid:DE44376B-78F3-4876-ADF2-670BB95BF2D4 at mit.edu]

For more information, you can read the original article reporting this issue here: http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/02/a-world-of-hurt-after-mcafee-mistakenly-revokes-key-for-signing-mac-apps/

IS&T is currently investigating this issue and McAfee engineers are reportedly working to re-sign all of their Mac applications with a new certificate.  As soon as an updated McAfee Security installer is available, IS&T will replace the current installer distributed on IS&T's Software Grid and notify all of you of the change.  IS&T will also keep the following page updated with the latest information as we have it: http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/x/7qgBCQ

Thanks,
~ Justin
__

Justin Fleming
Mac Platform Coordinator
Software Release Team
Systems Engineering, IS&T, MIT
jtflem at mit.edu<mailto:jtflem at mit.edu> | 617.253.0157 | W92-229A

Important: IS&T staff will never ask you for your password, nor will MIT send you email requesting your password information.  Please ignore any email messages that claim to require you to provide such information.