[Macpartners] the case of the 10.7 iCal "new event" and other design grumblings

Pat Hale pat_hale at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 10 14:44:35 EST 2012

I have been having the same issue on two Macs, and did some checking, but
then concluded it was a 10.7 'feature'. It propagates to my iPhone as well…

Pat

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Aran M Parillo <aran at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hello 10.7 iCal users of the MIT Exchange calendar.
>
> I'd like to share my experience, to see if you're experiencing the same.
>
> Since updating to 10.7 I noticed I kept "forgetting" to put calendar event
> titles into things I was scheduling on my calendar.  The event would be
> marked in my calendar, but as the day approached and I'd check my schedule,
> I often would see these untitled "New Event" items.
>
> This "forgetting" seems to happen, oh, every 10 entries or so… until today
> when I saw the title of one of my recently added events, change from what I
> typed to "New Event" after I had closed my editing session!   It is
> sufficient to say, I had not been forgetting to put event titles on, rather
> they were mysteriously vanishing.
>
> Just for kicks I searched on "new event" and see I have 5 "new events" at
> the moment, some past, some future… Hope I can remember what I set that
> time aside for! :o
>
> Have you experienced this as well?
> Am I just being too hasty with my editing?
> Do I need to slow down so the Microsoft Exchange server can keep up with
> my typing speed?
>
> Anyways, details here are 10.7.2 using iCal to oa.exchange.mit.edu over
> ssl.   I primarily edit my calendar from the Month view, but can reproduce
> this from day/week as well as month views.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts here.
> Aran
>
> PS: I'll mention too that I'm not thrilled w/the 10.7 iCal design.
>  Really, no (permanently viewable) tray for individual calendars!?  Wasted
> screen real estate for faux stitching and paper tears?  Srsly?

__________________________
*Pat Hale
*Director, SDM Fellows Program
Senior Lecturer, Engineering Systems Division
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Past President, INCOSE (www.incose.org)
617.253.9668  Office
774.766.9136  Cell