[Macpartners] Certificates and Secure Mail (was: Random People Appearing in Keychain Access)

John Canfield canfield at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 19 21:16:04 EST 2010

I didn't have to search very long to find the answers to all my questions. So, for anyone who's interested, here's what I found about how to use your certificate to send secure email:

It wasn't obvious and seems a little counterintuitive, but if you want to send digitally signed and encrypted email, you have to tell Keychain Access to trust your own certificate. (double-click or Get-Info on it, expand the "Trust" item, and select "Always Trust".) I would have thought this is something that was set automatically when your certificate is installed, but apparently not.

Restart Mail and when you create a New Message, the buttons for digital signing and encryption will be there. Note that the digital signing option defaults to "On". Unless you manually turn it off each time, every message you compose or even just reply to will include your digital signature. (so maybe that's why you don't initially "Always Trust" yourself)

Anyway, sending and receiving a digitally signed message is only the first step in sending encrypted email. You can send digitally signed messages to anyone, but you can only send encrypted email to someone you have a certificate for. So for any of those certificates that Mail is automatically saving in Keychain Access, you can go in and "Always Trust" it (at least the S/MIME option). You can also do this from within Mail on the received email itself. Now, when you compose or reply to those people, the encrypt button will also be enabled.

I digitally signed this message, just to try it out. So if you're using Apple Mail, it should be showing up for you like Brian described. However, now that I've satisfied my curiosity, I think I'll turn it back off by not "Trusting" myself anymore. I have no need to send encrypted email right now and would rather not waste the overhead. (Nor have anybody wondering how my certificate wound up in their Keychain!)

I can see the advantage now, of saving signed email certificates, but I wish it didn't happen automatically, or at least didn't default to always signing every outgoing email. (I'd bet there's probably an undocumented "defaults write" setting to modify that behavior.)

Elmer - John