[Macpartners] automate patch download & install

William de Figueiredo wld at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 23 13:59:26 EDT 2009

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I want to be able to download critical patches, install, and reboot the system without user intervention. Is this possible with Mac OS 10.5?

Bill

____________________________________
William de Figueiredo
MIT
35-308
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139

617-252-1661

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Ragalevsky [mailto:sfr at apple.com]
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 4:20 PM
To: William de Figueiredo
Cc: macpartners at mit.edu
Subject: Re: [Macpartners] automate patch download & install

Hi Bill,
Do you need to just install Apple updates via Software Update?

You can easily create a script with the command 'softwareupdate --
install --all'.  This command will install all software updates for a
system.  You can also just run that command via Terminal.  The man
page for softwareupdate defines how to install specific updates, if
you do not want to install all of them at once.

Keep in mind that software like QuickTime and OS updates will require
a reboot.

Best,
Steve