[Macpartners] disk encryption

David Schloerb schloerb at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 2 13:20:59 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I am looking for an easy way to protect some of the data on my Mac G4
computers (office desktop and home laptop) running OS 10.4.11, plus a
portable hard disk that I carry with me. I think the solution is to
use Disk Utility to create encrypted disk images for the small number
of things that need protection, but I would like to know more about
the pros and cons of this approach (and other options) before I start
doing it.

Please let me know if you have any wisdom about this that you would
like to share.

My main concerns are:

1) It needs to be easy to set up, use, and maintain.

2) I want to keep things like my SS number out of the wrong hands in
the event that my computers or hard disk are lost or stolen--I'm not
worried about the NSA or a supper hacker so much as a thief who might
use my personal data if it was obvious.

3) I don't want to be locked out of my data in the future because the
software is no longer around to support reading my files!

4) Although, encrypting the entire disk has some appeal (e.g., PGP or
TrueCrypt), some of my work is computationally intensive (e.g.,
analysis of experimental data) and I don't want to slow it down with
an encryption layer. Also, as I am currently in the midst of dealing
with some OS problems, my guess is that encryption of the OS would
make recovery from such problems much harder.

Thanks,

David