[Macpartners] problem with virus scan and other balkiness

Patrick M McNeal mcneal at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 2 09:58:10 EST 2008

On 12/1/08 6:55 PM, "arthur steinberg" <arthurs at MIT.EDU> wrote:

>  i am running os 10.4.11 on a g4 powerbook, using virus scan 8.6, and i
> get an error message: initialization of VS scan failed (error 201).
> this has only started happening recently since i downloaded:
>
> migration and cd-dvd sharing
> i tunes 8.0.2
> and a recent security update
>
> now virus scan won't work, and it is sometimes hard to minimize an
> application (like thunderbird), and itunes occasionally skips.
>
> any advice?  is there a way i can uninstall the recent additions noted
> above?

Hey Arthur - Unfortunately, there's no way to uninstall the recent updates
from Apple.  It's a feature that's been requested before, but we have yet to
see support for any type of rollback.

With regard to the VirusScan problem, when does it occur - every few
minutes, on restart, on shutdown, etc?  Also, could you send me a copy of
the error message next time it comes up?

(To take a screen shot, press command+shift+4 to active the screen grab tool
and then use your mouse to click and drag a box around the error window.
Upon letting go of the mouse button, the message will be saved to your
desktop as an image.)

Hopefully with that information we'll be able to figure out what's going on.

--Patrick

Patrick McNeal
Macintosh Platform Coordinator - Software Release Team
Client Support Services, Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
N42-250E
Cambridge, MA 02139
+1 617 253-0196
mcneal at mit.edu

IS&T IT staff will *NEVER* send you email requesting your password
information. Please ignore any email messages that claim to require you to
provide such information.