[Macpartners] New Intel iMac network problems?

Rick Davis roodavis at mac.com
Sat Mar 24 10:15:03 EDT 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 12:03 PM, macpartners-request at mit.edu wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:41:17 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Scott Ehrlich <scott at MIT.EDU>
> Subject: [Macpartners] New Intel iMac network problems?
> To: macpartners at MIT.EDU
>
> Has anyone experienced network problems with the new Intel-based iMacs
> where, with Firefox for example, you try to reach the Internet, but it
> claims no network is available?   Close, then reopen Firefox, and
> it works
> fine?
>
> Haven't tried network access with Safari, yet.
>
> Thanks for any insights/feedback.
>
> Scott

Hi Scott,

I have not seen this on Intel only.  Or should I say I have seen it
on any machine (PPC and Intel) that did not have a reachable DNS
server entered in the Network Preferences Pane (even though it says
it is optional). Other more knowledgeable sysadmins explained it to
me as being caused by a time delay Firefox, etc waits for a response
from the DNS server before continuing on to the entered url and if
the response is not quick enough it loads the error page.  Sometimes
just hitting the refresh page brings up the page. Entering the DNS
info has not failed to resolve the issue for me yet. Knock on wood.

Also check with your network administrator to see if your network is
setup to use IPv6 (most are not).  If it is not, you should click on
the Configure IPv6 button in the Network Preference Pane and set IPv6
to OFF.  IPv6 is on by default, however, if your network is not setup
to use IPv6 you will see some delays and connection failures as the
machine attempts to query and connect using IPv6.

Hope this helps.

Rick Davis, ACHDS
thePRIMAXgroup
Cincinnati, OH