[Macpartners] how to prevent Safari opening PDFs in browser?

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 13 14:17:25 EST 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 12:09 PM, Gurukarm Khalsa wrote:

> I'd like PDFs to open in Acrobat when I click their links in
> Safari; I used to be able to make them do so but in some recent
> software update (I'm assuming) all of a sudden PDFs not only open
> in a new Safari window, but the button bar normally seen in a
> browser with PDFs (save, etc) has disappeared.
>
> I know that in full Acrobat, in Preferences -> Internet, one can
> uncheck the "Display PDF in browser using: (dropdown choices)", and
> I thought doing so prevented that action. However, I have it
> unchecked, and have restarted both Safari and Acrobat, to no avail.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
> Gurukarm

 From the terminal, do this:

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool YES

   -- Al

Albert Willis
Macintosh Platform Coordinator - Software Release Team
Client Support Services
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
awillis at mit.edu