[Macpartners] Major problem averted for now: Mac OS X Server won't start up

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 19 18:21:04 EST 2006

On Dec 19, 2006, at 3:46 PM, Roger Donaghy wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who responded to my message this morning.
>
> Starting the machine in Firewire Target mode worked and I am able
> to access files.
>
> Also, I called Applecare and the person I spoke to suggested
> booting off a CD containing the Apple Hardware Test. I haven't had
> a chance to do that because I'm still double checking to make sure
> that essential data on the machine is redundant.
>
> I'm not sure if the fact that I can access the hard drive's files
> through Target mode means that this problem is being caused by
> something other than a faulty hard drive.

It sounds like there's some kind of directory damage on the drive,
which may have damaged your Mac OS X installation. I would attempt
booting into single user mode; if that works, follow the directions
on the screen and run fsck  to try to repair the damage. You can read
about single user mode at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?
artnum=106388.

Since target disk mode does work, you could also use it to mount a
drive on a machine that can run DiskWarrior and repair the drive that
way.

   -- Al

Albert Willis
Macintosh Platform Coordinator - Software Release Team
Client Support Services
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
awillis at mit.edu