[Macpartners] G5s, sleep, falling off the network?

mark pearrow mpearrow at csail.mit.edu
Tue Nov 29 08:21:00 EST 2005

Hi all,

I have recently noticed a couple cases where users of Tiger (10.4.3)
and dual-cpu G5s have complained of a sudden inability to access
their computers remotely by any means. The machines are able to
access the network perfectly well as long as the user is sitting at
the console. The failure mode seems to happen if the machine has been
idle for a while. Looking at the network switchport that the host is
connected to shows the arp entry for the host as <incomplete>, so it
appears that arp isn't working, etc.

I would wonder if this is a sleep-induced problem. Note that remote
access worked fine on both hosts until "recently". Neither host has
had any new software installed *except* the 10.4.3 update and any
other Apple Software updates that have come out in the past month or
so. Both hosts are maintained by different people and are in two
physically different locations.

Anyone else seen this?

mjp