[Macpartners] Connecting a Apple Cinema Display (DVI-D) to VGA computer(s)

Kerem B Limon kerem.limon at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 10 15:34:27 EST 2004

Stefan--

I've done some research into this, too, though for the opposite reason
recently.

Without doing a detailed search, if the display has a DVI-D (as opposed to
a DVI-_I_) connector only, it is a _digital_ only LCD panel, which requires
a digital input. VGA is, of course, analog, so you will not be able to hook
it up to an analog VGA output, on a computer or KVM box, without an
analog-to-digital converter. So, an adapter doesn't apply (I am using
'adapter' as a physical interface changer).

Such animals do exist. I took a quick look at Dr. Bott's Web page
(http://www.drbott.com/) and they don't seem to make one. Others should--do
a search for a "VGA-to-DVI-D converter" or "HDI-15" or "D-Sub-15" instead
of VGA.

Digital displays are more stringent in their signal requirements, and
analog-to-digital conversion, as opposed to the opposite, is more difficult
for that reason. A good quality converter _may_ be expensive. Otherwise,
the quality may suffer, and Apple hardware being more sync-freq-picky than
PCs, things may still not work and you might end up with a blank display.

Kerem