[Macpartners] March Mac Partners meeting: Monday, March 15

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 9 14:51:50 EST 2004

The March Mac Partners meeting takes place on Monday, 15, noon-1:30 pm,
N42 Demo Center.

Topics to be covered:

* IS&T Announcements
   -- Mac OS X 10.3 support
   -- Mac OS 9.x being phased out

* Main Presentation & DIY
   -- Syndication using RSS and content aggregators

* Q & A

Main Presentation and DIY topic: Syndication using RSS and content
aggregators
Subscribing to RSS (Real Simple Syndication or Rich Site Summary,
depending on who you talk to) enables users to keep up with many
different web sites without having to visit each one. Companies such as
Apple, Amazon and The Boston Globe are using RSS.

Topics to be covered include what RSS is and why it's useful, how to
use NetNewsWire Lite to subscribe to an RSS feed and how RSS gets
generated.

To get a head start on RSS, check out RSS Quickstart guide at
http://rss.lockergnome.com/resources/articles/quickstart.phtml.

The most popular RSS reader on the Mac is NetNewsWire:
http://ranchero.com/netnewswire/. NetNewsWire Lite is freeware.

If there are specific questions or issues you want covered, please send
me e-mail and I'll be sure to address them.

   -- Al