[Macpartners] How to install Mac OS on formatted machine

Chris Griffith cg at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 27 23:35:37 EST 2004

On Feb 27, 2004, at 9:24 PM, Susan Midlarsky wrote:
> Actually, it sounds like he's trying to install from an OS 9 CD. It
> sounds to me like this is a G4 model that wouldn't boot into OS 9.

It might be a G4 that requires a specific point-release of OS 9 that is
higher than the version on his CD. For instance, my G4/733 ('Digital
Audio') needs 9.1; it won't boot from a 9.0 CD.

It'd help to know to exactly which version of OS 9 is on the CD -- it
should be written in small type on the disc. It would also help to know
exactly which G4 model this is, though Apple's nomenclature can make
that task tricky. These pages may be of some help:
http://www.apple-history.com/
http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.html

-Chris