[Macpartners] FileMaker for Mac OSX question

Tom Pixton tpixton at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 25 10:51:01 EST 2004

Hi all:

Up here at E28, we're running FileMaker Server 5.5 on Mac OS X.2.8
Server. We have observed a few quirks and are wondering if upgrading
to FM 6.0 and Panther Server (OS X.3.2) would help.

When we need to stop the server for updates or maintenance, we
frequently get a corrupted database when starting it up again. We
make sure all users are logged off before shutting down, as this had
been a problem. Sometimes, when stopping FileMaker Sever, we get a
message saying "FileMaker Server ConFig is shutting down. This may
take a few minutes." and then it takes a half an hour. In such a
scenario, when starting again, many of the databases won't load, with
a message indicating those files are corrupted, and need to be
recovered or restored.

We also had one occasion where we got a message saying "An instance
of FileMaker is already running" when starting it again. This led to
a situation where two "instances" of FileMaker were running: one to
which our users were writing that didn't save any updates, and
another one, unknown to us, which was the "real" instance. We lost
three days of data as a result.

We now shut the server off completely and reboot it before restarting
FileMaker Server. This seems to help, but also seems like we
shouldn't have to do this to avoid problems.

Any experience with these issues? Haven't found anything relevant yet
on http://www.filemaker.com/support/techinfo.html.

Thanks.

--
Tom Pixton
Publishing Services Bureau

Find answers to your publishing questions and expert support for your
next project.
Explore MIT's graphic identity and download logos and templates.
Order official MIT stationery, envelopes, and business cards.

Access these online resources from http://web.mit.edu/psb/portal/