[Macpartners] Apple Powerbook Display Scam

Jeff Solof Jeff.Solof at Sun.COM
Tue Feb 17 10:57:14 EST 2004

I bought a pair of shoes from LL Bean 10 years ago.  A month ago, the
sole on one of them cracked and split.  Not normal wear and tear, but a
major blow out.  When I asked them if their '100% satisfaction
guarantee' would cover such a thing, they said it was up to me to
decide.  They credited me the full purchase price of my 10 year old
shoes against a new pair.

In the short run, they probably lost some money.  (Not much, given the
margins they make.  :)

But look at the big picture and compare.  I'm doing free ads (like this)
for LL Bean, while on the other hand, the Mac Partners list at MIT is
publicly debating whether it's reasonable and customary for a
manufacturer to refuse to take back a defective product (let's be binary
about this -- part of the product does not work as designed, advertised,
or intended -- it's defective!) because they don't agree that 1 or 2 or
6 bad pixels constitutes a defect.

In the long run, who are the smarter business people?

Jeff