[Macpartners] MacOS 10.3 and YP Authentication

vanni vanni at allegro.mit.edu
Thu Feb 5 15:35:51 EST 2004

It seems like the Authentication mechanism changed on on 10.3
and "YP authentication" (from the Login Window) is now broken.

Has anyone encountered and solved this ??

thanks in advance !!

-vanni

PS -- (Technical Details)

On OS 10.2 one could quickly setup a new Mac OS X (10.2) machines
as a YP client to a YP server (running on a UNIX machine
(solari, Linux, etc))

On OS 10.3 this no longer works .... however, the following still
works.
        ssh          ... to the 10.3 machine
        ypcat passwd ... on the "     "
        automount, etc

i.e.  YP still works and the lower level (UNIX) login (authentication
at the SHELL level) mechanism still works.  It's the authentication at the
"login window" that is no longer working.

Yes, I belive that we have clicked the right buttons
from "Directory access".