[Macpartners] Setting up X windows using X11 on a G5

Tim Boyden trboyden at PLANT.MIT.EDU
Sat Nov 29 18:49:48 EST 2003

Dan try this, I found it at MacOSXhints.com:

***************************************

Fix Apple's X11 to allow remote use of Mac X11 apps
 Mon, Sep 15 '03 at 10:31AM . from: Anonymous

  I was trying to get X11 forwarding to work on Mac OS X 10.2.6 / Apple X11.
This lets you run any X11 app on your Mac from any other unix system. While
I could use remote X11 apps from my Mac, I couldn't use apps on my Mac from
my linux box at work. Then I found a writeup on the macwrite.com web site
that explains how to fix this:

Ten More Mac OS X Loose Ends Part Two - X11 Forwarding
http://www.macwrite.com/criticalmass/ten-more-mac-os-x-loose-ends-part-2.php
#X11

After going through this fix (the instructions are easy to follow), just
make sure you have X11.app running on your mac. Then, from any remote
OSX/unix/linux box, just type:
ssh yourname at yourhost.com

and you will be able to run any X11 program remotely. As a side benefit, you
can launch X11 apps from the OS X terminal. Before applying this fix, you
could only launch X11 apps from an xterm session.

Shouldn't you be simulating the Big Bang on that G5 though! ;-)

Timothy Boyden
Systems Administrator
MIT Department of Facilities
IT Support & Training Group