[Macpartners] Summary of Apple announcements

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 23 18:17:15 EDT 2003

Here's a quick summary of what happened today:

-- Apple's CEO Steve Jobs showed Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther". It has over
a 100 new features. For more information, see
http://www.apple.com/macosx/panther/. Panther is slated to ship by
the end of the year. Apple press release:

* Apple Previews Mac OS X "Panther"
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/jun/23panther.html

Along with Panther, Steve jobs demonstrated Xcode, a new set of
developer tools for Mac OS X developers. More info at
http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/ and
http://www.apple.com/macosx/panther/xcode.html. Press release:

* Apple Introduces Xcode, the Fastest Way to Create Mac OS X Applications
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/jun/23xcode.html

What Steve didn't mention is his keynote is a new version of Mac OS X
Server, currently known as Mac OS X "Panther" Server. Among the new
features is the ability to run a Kerberos KDC on Mac OS X--courtesy
of Information Systems' MacDev team lead by Marshall Vale. Press
release:

* Apple Previews Mac OS X "Panther" Server
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/jun/23server.html

-- Steve Jobs also showed a new version of iChat, called iChat AV
that now supports audio and video conferencing. The public beta
version of iChat AV is available from Apple at
http://www.apple.com/ichat/. He also showed a new FireWire video
camera called iSight. Although iChat AV works with any FireWire
camera, the iSight will probably be the camera of choice for video
conferencing. iSight is available today. Press releases:

* Apple Introduces iChat AV and iSight
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/jun/23ichat.html

-- Safari is no longer beta--it's now officially 1.0. This version of
Safari doesn't support personal certificates--we're hoping that a
future version will address this. For more information on Safar 1.0,
see http://www.apple.com/safari/. You can update to 1.0 by using
Software Update.

* Apple Releases Safari 1.0
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/jun/23safari.html

-- Apple announced a new line of Power Macintosh computers based on
the G5 processor. G5 is Apple's marketing name for the IBM 970, a
64-bit PowerPC-based processor that was co-developed by Apple and
IBM. More information on the processor is available from
http://www.apple.com/g5/. If you want some very detailed information
on the 970, I would recommend the Ars Technica articles:

* Inside the IBM PowerPC 970--Part I: Design Philosophy and Front End
http://arstechnica.com/cpu/02q2/ppc970/ppc970-1.html

* Inside the PowerPC 970--Part II: The Execution Core
http://arstechnica.com/cpu/03q1/ppc970/ppc970-0.html

-- There are three models: a 1.6, a 1.8 and a dual 2.0 GHz. The
educational pricing is $1899, $2299 and $2899
respectively--educational pricing is $100 less than retail. A whole
lot more information is available at http://www.apple.com/powermac/.
The Power Mac G5 is expected to ship in August. Press releases:

* Apple Unleashes the World's Fastest Personal Computer-the Power Mac G5
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/jun/23pmg5.html

* Developers Applaud Power Mac G5 Performance
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/jun/23quotes.html

* Apple and IBM Introduce the PowerPC G5 Processor
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/jun/23joint.html

There's a lot of information to digest here--and this is just the
first day of WWDC. Lots more will be coming, especially as we get
reports from the conference. Send any questions to the list.

   -- Al

--
Albert Willis
Macintosh Platform Coordinator