[Macpartners] MSFT to quit IE for Mac OS

James C. White/MIT jcwhite at MIT.EDU
Sat Jun 14 08:34:39 EDT 2003

Microsoft to Cease Making Versions
Of Explorer Browser for Macintosh
Associated Press
SEATTLE -- Microsoft Corp. said it will no longer develop software for its
Internet Explorer browser for Apple Computer's Macintosh system, saying
Apple's own browsing software is a logical choice for Mac users.
Except for two minor upgrades, Microsoft's Internet Explorer 5 is the last
version it will develop for the Mac, Jessica Sommers, product manager for
the software company's Macintosh Business Unit, said Friday.
It makes more sense for Mac users to use Apple's Safari Web-browser, she
said. Although still in beta testing, the browser has already gained
attention for its speed and some of its features.
Ms. Sommers said Apple is in a better position to create a browser with
more features and that offers a smoother experience because "Apple has
access to functionality in the [operating system] that Microsoft doesn't."
"They can do things because they're developing on their own [operating
system] that we as a third party programmer can't do," she said.
It's a complaint that has been leveled at Microsoft in the past by outside
software vendors, who said Microsoft's access to its underlying code gave
it an inside track on making its own add-on products run more smoothly than
others.
Microsoft is not backing away from the Mac and will continue to develop
other software, she said, including a new version of Office business
software for the Mac.
"Our relationship is strong as ever," she said. "This is by no means an
indication ... that we're walking away from other products."
An Apple Computer representative was not immediately available for comment.
The move isn't surprising, said Rob Helm, research director for Directions
on Microsoft, a Kirkland-based independent research firm.
Internet Explorer already has more than 90% of the market, he said, and
Microsoft doesn't need the added exposure to Mac users, who constitute less
than 5% of computer users.
And Mac users have a promising option in Safari, he said. "I picture this
as not being a major problem for Apple," Mr. Helm said.
He added that Microsoft may be "rethinking how much it invests in the Mac,"
picking and choosing among the more profitable software -- such as its
Office business software for the Mac -- and less profitable, such as
Internet Explorer, which was a free download.
Copyright © 2003 Associated Press