[Linerva-announce] Linerva has been retired

Alex Dehnert adehnert at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 29 05:30:25 EST 2014

Around 1AM, Linerva crashed with a kernel BUG in OpenAFS. We were
unable to recover the running system.

In accordance with our retirement plan, users should now use
athena.dialup.mit.edu instead; connecting to linerva.mit.edu or
linux.mit.edu will now suggest using athena.dialup.

As we announced a few days ago, we were planning to retire Linerva as
a SIPB service this week. Rather than restoring service for a few
days, we took this as an opportunity to complete the transition. Based
on discussions with IS&T, we decided the simplest and clearest
approach was to disable the linerva.mit.edu and linux.mit.edu
names. Effective immediately, connections to those names produce an
error message suggesting using athena.dialup.mit.edu
instead. This avoids the difficulty and ongoing support burden of
transitioning the names to IS&T, and ensures everyone is aware of the
change.

The Linerva webpage, https://web.mit.edu/linerva/www/, has more
information on the features athena.dialup provides, how to use
athena.dialup for long-running sessions, and other questions you may have.

Feel free to contact linerva at mit.edu with any additional comments or
questions.

--
Alex Dehnert