[Linerva-announce] Unexpected Linerva outage today

Anders Kaseorg andersk at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 4 23:25:51 EST 2013

At 9:30pm, Linerva crashed with a kernel BUG in OpenAFS.  We were unable
to recover the running system, so we rebooted it.  In an effort to avoid
further crashes, we also upgraded to a newer version of OpenAFS.

Linerva is now back online.  If you had screen or other long-running
programs, you will need to restart them.  We apologize for the
inconvenience.

We would like to take this opportunity to remind users that Linerva is not
intended for CPU- or memory-intensive workloads, and should not be used to
store large amounts of data on local disk.

Anders
SIPB Linerva team