[Linerva-announce] Unscheduled Linerva Reboot yesterday

Alex Dehnert adehnert at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 19 14:58:22 EST 2012

Yesterday evening around midnight Eastern time, Linerva stopped accepting
new connections, hung when running commands, and generally became
questionably usable. We believe this to be related to an AFS lock issue.
We were unable to recover the machine, and the maintainers eventually
rebooted the machine.

Linerva is now back online. If you had screen or other long-running
programs, you will need to restart them.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

We would like to take this opportunity to remind users that Linerva is not
intended for CPU- or memory-intensive workloads, and should not be used to
store large amounts of data on local disk.

Additionally, SIPB has been considering phasing out Linerva in favor of
the IS&T-maintained official dialup servers (ie, athena.dialup.mit.edu).
Please let us know if there are respects in which athena.dialup is not
currently a suitable substitute for your use of Linerva[*], so that we can
ensure that transition can be as smooth as possible.

Thanks,
Alex Dehnert
SIPB Linerva Team
linerva at mit.edu

[*] We already know about several aspects, and are working with IS&T to
fix them. We're hoping to discover how critical those are, and if there
are advantages of Linerva that we had not thought of.