[Linerva-announce] Linerva Outage Tonight

Tim Abbott tabbott at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 24 04:38:55 EDT 2006

Hello,

 	We rebooted the Debian-Athena dialup linerva.mit.edu late tonight
(around 4:10 AM) to install a new kernel fixing a kernel vulnerability in Linux
2.6 announced yesterday evening.

 	For obvious reasons, we cannot give significant advance notice for
security-related kernel upgrades.  You can read about our outage policy and
Linerva in general on our website at http://web.mit.edu/linerva/www/.

 	Sorry for the inconvience caused by Linux 2.6 having serious
vulnerabilities every few months.  We will continue our efforts to figure out
how to fix some problems we have related to the athmode chroot with running
Linux 2.4, which seems to have significant security problems much less often.

 	-Tim Abbott

[I've BCCed the users who had running processes at the time.  You should add
yourselves to linerva-announce if you want to hear about outages and upgrades
in the future].