[Leonardo/ISAST Network] October LASER, Leonardo 44:5, Calls for Papers and Proposals

Leonardo Network Newsletter isast at leonardo.info
Tue Oct 4 02:12:12 EDT 2011

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser: http://
www.leonardo.info/e-LNN/issue_10-1-11.html

October 1, 2011

This email should be sent only to those who wish to receive it.
Information on how to unsubscribe is included in the footer below.

Support Leonardo

Leonardo/ISAST is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. We rely on the
support of our community. Support Leonardo with a donation today!

Leonardo On-Line

More news and announcements are available on the What's New page on
Leonardo On-Line.

All past issues of the Leonardo Network Newsletter are available on
the Leonardo web site.

NEXT LASER: 5 OCTOBER 2011, PALO ALTO, CA (STANFORD)
Attention San Francisco Bay Area readers! Join us for the next
Leonardo Art Science Evening Rendezvous (LASER), 5 October 2011, at
Stanford University. Feature presentations include "What the Next
Phase of the Web Could Mean" by Henrik Bennetsen, "Knitting Code" by
Rachel Beth Egenhoefer, "My Life Among the Patterns" by Trudy Myrrh
Reagan and "Makrokosma Bali" by Wayne Vitale. Find out more

PUBLICATIONS

LEONARDO 44:5 NOW AVAILABLE
Inside Leonardo 44:5: Fine art processed on processors: Printmaking
at the microscale, frosted onto the wafers of integrated circuits, in
the secret tradition of engineer art; Escher made flesh(er): Galina
Pasko and company create 2-to-3D models (using, naturally, a language
called HyperFun) to meet the challenges of M.C.'s logic-eluding
designs; Food, printed on demand: using digital modeling and
fabrication to sketch out a future toolkit for backyard gastronomers;
Give us your biofeedback: Thoughts from Mauri Kaipainen and his
enactive media cohorts on tracking brain states for art's sake. Find
out more

LEONARDO CALL FOR PAPERS
The editors of Leonardo invite submissions exploring the theme "The
Future of Art History in the Context of New Discoveries of Psychology
and the Cognitive Sciences." We are interested not in purely
historical perspectives, but in research looking to the future: What
are the most promising new approaches? How can they aid our
understanding of visual art? We are interested both in general
programmatic statements and in innovative accounts of individual
works of art. Find out more

LEONARDO MUSIC JOURNAL CALL FOR PAPERS
VOLUME 22: ACOUSTICS
Immersed as we are in electronically mediated sound, at the end of
the day---whether it's coming from ukuleles or earbuds---sound
reaches us through acoustic pressure. The sheer physicality of sound,
and its quirky interaction with our sense of hearing, has driven many
a composer and sound artist to go back to the "year zero" in music---
before the codification of melody, rhythm and harmony---and explore
fundamental aspects of the physics and perception of sound. Deadline
for rough proposals/queries: 15 October 2011. Find out more

OPPORTUNITIES AND COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS

BEAM CAMP CALL FOR PROJECT PROPOSALS
Engineers, architects, designers, sculptors, builders, technologists,
artists: You supply the plan and vision. We’ll supply 100+ energetic
campers and staff and 700+ acres of forest and lakes as studio,
canvas and workshop. Submit your proposal today to be one of Beam’s
2012 Project Masters. Find out more

The Leonardo Network Newsletter is a bi-weekly publication of
Leonardo/The International Society for the Arts, Sciences and
Technology (Leonardo/ISAST) and includes news, events and publication
announcements, calls for submissions, opportunities and more.

Current and past issues of the Leonardo Network Newsletter can be
viewed online:
http://www.leonardo.info/e-LNN/e-LNN.html

Join as an Associate Member and receive a range of benefits including
discounts, special invitations and more.

Subscribe to, or unsubscribe from this list.

Our mailing address is:
Leonardo/ISAST
211 Sutter St, Suite 501
San Francisco, CA 94108
U.S.A.

Our website:
http://www.leonardo.info

Our email:
isast at leonardo.info

Copyright (C) 2011 Leonardo/ISAST. All rights reserved.