[Leonardo/ISAST Network] Leonardo Network Newsletter | October 1, 2010

Leonardo/ISAST isast at leonardo.info
Fri Oct 1 17:38:45 EDT 2010

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser: http://
www.leonardo.info/e-LNN/issue_10-1-10.html

October 1, 2010

This email should be sent only to those who wish to receive it.
Information on how to unsubscribe is included in the footer below.

Support Leonardo

Leonardo/ISAST is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. We rely on the
support of our community. Support Leonardo with a donation today!

Did you know? Another easy way to support Leonardo is to shop on
Amazon. Leonardo/ISAST will receive referral fees on anything you buy
from Amazon if you enter the Amazon site through our Associate Member
referral link. Start by browsing titles in the Leonardo Book Series.

Leonardo On-Line

More news and announcements are available on the What's New page on
Leonardo On-Line.

All past issues of the Leonardo Network Newsletter are available on
the Leonardo web site.

EVENTS

GLOBAL WARNING SYMPOSIUM RECAP
Leonardo/ISAST thanks the speakers, sponsors, partners and audience
participants who helped make the GLOBAL WARNING: Artists, Scientists
and Environmental Activism Symposium a success. The symposium brought
together practitioners from a large variety of disciplines, from
scientists conducting research aimed at solving environmental crises
to artists creating works that engage the public to ethicists
reminding us that concern for the environment encompasses our concern
for ourselves and our future as humans.

In particular we would like to thank the speakers, including:
Kathleen Dean Moore, Gail Wight, Gerard Kuperus, Peter Roopnarine,
Karen Holl, Marisa Jahn, Tiffany Holmes, Meredith Tromble, The
Climate Clock Initiative Teams, Andrea Polli, Tim Dye, Buster
Simpson, Robin Lasser, Marguerite Perret, Jade Chang; our sponsors:
City of San José Office of Cultural Affairs, University of San
Francisco Dean's Office of Arts and Sciences, USF Philosophy Dept,
USF Environmental Science Dept, USF Art & Architecture Dept, The
Journal of Global Environmental Politics, Calit2, Berkeley Center for
New Media, Rachel Crawford and Marcia Tanner; and our partners in
organizing the symposium.

A virtual goodie bag made for symposium participants is available on-
line at http://www.leonardo.info/goodies.html with free articles on
art, science and the environment, discounts and more (available
through October 17, 2010).

If you were unable to attend, you can view a short recap of what
transpired during the day on the Leonardo Twitter account (see
sidebar for link). In the meantime, we are continuing to update the
Art, Science and the Environment Resource page. If you have any
suggestions of collaborations, projects or organizations working in
the field to add to the list, please send them our way. Find out more

UPCOMING LASER: OCTOBER 13, 2010
Attention Bay Area readers! Join us for the next Leonardo Art Science
Evening Rendezvous (LASER), October 13, 2010, at the SETI Institute,
Mountain View, CA. Feature presentations include Renetta Sitoy, "The
Internet as Media;" Henrik Bennetsen, "What the Next Phase of the Web
Could Mean;" Anna Couey, "Communication Systems as Social Sculpture;"
and Chris Palmer, "Tradition Meets Modern Digital Fabrication". Find
out more

LEONARDO DAY AT NETSCI 2011 BUDAPEST
Leonardo is pleased to invite you to Arts | Humanities | Complex
Networks — 2nd Leonardo satellite symposium at NetSci 2011 taking
place at the Ludwig Museum – Museum of Contemporary Art, Budapest, on
Tuesday, June 7, 2011. Find out more

VIDEO DOCUMENTATION FROM NETSCI 2010 BOSTON NOW ON-LINE
Video documentation of all the speakers who presented at The Arts |
Humanities | Complex Networks, a Leonardo satellite symposium at
NetSci 2010 is now available on-line. Speakers include: Albert-László
Barabási, Maximilian Schich, Michele Coscia, Michael Schober, Barbara
Mirel, Ward Shelley, Sara Angel, A. Schmidt Burkhardt, Jane Prophet
and Anna Dumitriu. Find out more

PUBLICATIONS

LMJ 21 CALL FOR PAPERS
BEYOND NOTATION: COMMUNICATING MUSIC
Peer-to-peer file exchange, the iTunes store, MySpace, Pandora – by
2010 it's obvious that the Internet has radically transformed the
economy and culture of selling, distributing, owning and hearing
recorded music. Less discussed is the Web's impact on that part of
music that used to be called "the score" – instructions, suggestions
and materials for performing, rather than consuming, music. For
Volume 21 of Leonardo Music Journal we solicit papers that address
the impact of technological change on how we distribute instructions
and materials for musical performance. Deadline for abstracts:
October 15, 2010. Find out more

GET A 20% DISCOUNT ON A SUBSCRIPTION TO LEONARDO AND LMJ
PLUS A FREE BOOK FROM THE MIT PRESS
Subscribe now and get a 20% discount on a new or renewed subscription
to Leonardo and LMJ PLUS a free book from the MIT Press! A Leonardo
and LMJ subscription includes 5 issues of Leonardo published bi-
monthly and one issue of Leonardo Music Journal + audio CD published
at the end of the year. PLUS, the subscription includes associate
membership in The International Society for the Arts, Sciences and
Technology, which includes discounts, special invitations and more!
Find out more

OPPORTUNITIES AND COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS

FACULTY POSITION IN COMPOSITION, WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY
The Wesleyan University Music Department seeks an original composer
with specialization in experimental music and digital media.
Interests that cross disciplinary boundaries are welcome, as are
additional fields of expertise. This is a full-time, tenure-track
position beginning July 1, 2011. Find out more

The Leonardo Network Newsletter is a bi-weekly publication of
Leonardo/The International Society for the Arts, Sciences and
Technology (Leonardo/ISAST) and includes news, events and publication
announcements, calls for submissions, opportunities and more.

Current and past issues of the Leonardo Network Newsletter can be
viewed online:
http://www.leonardo.info/e-LNN/e-LNN.html

Join as an Associate Member and receive a range of benefits including
discounts, special invitations and more.

Subscribe to, or unsubscribe from this list.

Our mailing address is:
Leonardo/ISAST
211 Sutter St, Suite 501
San Francisco, CA 94108
U.S.A.

Our website:
http://www.leonardo.info

Our email:
isast at leonardo.info

Copyright (C) 2010 Leonardo/ISAST. All rights reserved.