[Leonardo/ISAST Network] Albert-Lazslo Barabasi to speak at MutaMorphosis conference

Leonardo/ISAST isast at leonardo.info
Mon Jun 18 20:21:56 EDT 2007

To: Leonardo Network
From: Roger Malina

We are pleased to announce that Albert-Lazslo Barabasi will be one of
the Plenary speakers at the MutaMorphosis conference in Prague in November.

Barabasi is a leading researcher in network theory as applied to fields
as diverse as the internet, genetic and chemical networks. He will
address how network theory informs our views of how social networks
develop in new territories.

He has an excellent book called "Linked" that describes some of his
ideas. For further information on his work visit:
http://www.nd.edu/~alb/ <http://www.nd.edu/%7Ealb/>

Here is his abstract:

The architecture of complexity

Systems as diverse as  the world wide web, Internet or the cell are
described by highly interconnected networks with amazingly complex
topology. Recent studies indicate that these complex networks are the
result of self-organizing processes governed by simple but generic laws,
resulting in architectural features that are much more similar to each
other than one would have expected by exploring them one by one. Indeed,
how is it possible that the the Internet, the cell, or the social
network have the same underlying architecture? How could the router know
what a gene does in our cells? My goal is to discuss this amazing and
beautiful order characterizing our interconnected work, and its
implications to how we perceive the impact of links and connections  on
our life.

Albert-Laszlo Barabasi
Emil T. Hofman Professor of Physics
Department of Physics
University of Notre Dame

REGISTER for MutaMorphosis at: www.mutamorphosis.org
<http://www.mutamorphosis.org>

Leonardo/ISAST is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Donations are
tax-deductible in the U.S. To learn more about Leonardo/ISAST's
projects, programs and activities, visit http://leonardo.info
<http://www.mutamorphosis.org>