[Leonardo/ISAST Network] Reception and Seminar on Monday, November 13 with newest SSL artist-in-residence Joanna Griffin

Leonardo/ISAST isast at leonardo.info
Fri Oct 27 14:38:39 EDT 2006

To: Leonardo Network
From: Roger Malina

We are pleased to announce that Joanna Griffin is the new
artist-in-residence at the UC Berkeley Space Sciences Lab. The
residency is co-sponsored by Leonardo.

Previous artists-in-residence in this program were Rejane Spitz,
Liliane Lijn and Semiconductor.

For more information on the residencies and the artists-in-residence
program at UC Berkeley Space Sciences Lab see:
http://cse.ssl.berkeley.edu/arts/news.html

Joanna Griffin will be giving a talk on November 13 2006, 2:00-4:00pm.
Joanna will share some samples of her work and talk about what she's
working on at the Lab. Please join us for refreshments followed by
Joanna's presentation.

Time: Monday, November 13, 2:00-4:00 pm
Location: Addition conference room

The UC Berkeley Space Sciences Lab is located at 7 Gauss Way,
Berkeley, CA. For more information and driving directions, visit the
SSL website: http://www.ssl.berkeley.edu/about/visiting.php

Artist's Statement - from Joanna:

I'm interested in the orbital environment, our remoteness from it, its
invisibility and that access to it is largely determined by
scientific, research, government or military institutions. One of my
lines of enquiry has been to investigate ground-based facilities that
have a close connection with spacecraft that orbit the planet, so my
interest in being here is primarily in the connection of people to
satellites. It's great to have the opportunity to work alongside
people with a direct connection to objects, exploration and research
in the orbital environment. I'm here to find out more about about the
technology but also the narratives of satellites: the stories of their
orbits, of launches, of lost satellites and the stories of the people
who created them. To do this I have a sketchbook for notes and
diagrams and a voice recorder to create an archive of audio
descriptions. I'd like to reveal a mapping of connections between this
specific place and the remote, unseen landscape of spacecraft
architecture.

Links to some of Joanna's work:

http://impakt.nl/online/aconnectiontoaremoteplace/
http://aconnectiontoaremoteplace.net/
http://breakingthesurface.net/
http://breakingthesurface.net/featheredwater/

Leonardo/ISAST is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Donations are
tax-deductible in the U.S. To learn more about Leonardo/ISAST's
projects, programs and activities, visit http://leonardo.info