[LCM Articles] Stockholm Conference for Lebanon

Loai Naamani loai at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 31 05:10:36 EDT 2006

Official details of the Stockholm International Conference (FAQs + paper
presented by Lebanese Government attached; PM's foreword below),
L.

Foreword

No one is ever really prepared for the kind of disaster that hit Lebanon
this summer. With one fourth of the population displaced from their homes
and villages as a result of Israeli bombing, and with an air, sea and land
blockade, and most roads made impassable by a methodical destruction of
bridges and overpasses, the ability to deliver the badly needed relief was
severely constrained during the month long onslaught. Nevertheless, basic
humanitarian assistance was delivered thanks to the joint efforts of the
Lebanese themselves (government and non government), and those of Lebanon's
many friends in the region and beyond who responded quickly to help in
meeting urgent needs. It is this kind of partnership that we count on to
carry Lebanon forward as we move from humanitarian relief to early recovery,
on to longer term reconstruction and to creating the conditions for
sustained growth and financial stability.

We are very thankful to the Swedish government for taking the initiative to
call for, and host this conference, and to the many countries and
institutions who have come here to demonstrate their support for Lebanon, in
words and in deeds. The conference is intended to focus mainly on early
recovery efforts, in addition to the remaining humanitarian assistance
needs. Although the financial magnitude of these early recovery projects may
be relatively small, particularly when compared to the longer term
reconstruction costs and Lebanon's pre-existing need for international
financial support to help ease its debt servicing burden, they are
nevertheless an important element of Lebanon's path forward.

These early recovery efforts and projects (e.g. temporary houses and
bridges) provide in many cases critical interim steps pending completion of
longer-term reconstruction work.

They also facilitate the provision of public health and other services which
are particularly needed in the present circumstances, until normalcy is
restored to communities affected by this crisis.

This conference also provides an opportunity for us to share with the
international community our preliminary assessment of where Lebanon's
economy is today as a result of this major setback, and how we view the road
forward, so that we all - Lebanese government, our domestic stakeholders,
including private sector and civil society, as well as the international
community - can work together to put Lebanon back on the path we all want to
see it on; the path of freedom, democracy and economic progress.

Fouad Siniora

Prime Minister