[LCM Articles] Press Release-Lebanon: An Open Country for Civil Resistance

Walid G. Chamoun walid at chamoun.org
Thu Aug 10 23:01:48 EDT 2006

Campaign of Civil Resistance to Reclaim the South
Good evening,
There's a convoy of 100 or more cars driving down to the south of Lebanon
on Saturday, August 12th, which marks the one-month anniversary of the
Israeli
 bombing of Lebanon. To defy the Israeli order that all cars south of the
 Litani river will be considered legitimate targets (including in and
around the
 port city of Tyre), and the forced displacement of 1 million Lebanese from
 their homes, the convoy will carry Lebanese citizens, foreigners from all
over
 the world and food, sanitary and medical supplies; all aid to the south
has
 been suspended, and tens of thousands of people and many hospitals remain
 trapped without access to basic necessities.

 The Lebanese Ministry of Energy is supplying fuel for the convoy,
Norwegian
 and Swiss NGOs are donating funds for food and medicine. Lebanese TV
stations
 will accompany the convoy; we are trying to get American and European
media
 outlets to do the same, to ensure our safe passage, which of course is not
 ensured. The Israeli government will not be directly contacted nor asked
for
 permission or safe passage, but the Israeli media (Haaretz) has already
 reported on the upcoming event.

 Please forward widely to individuals, protest organizers who wish to
coordinate
 their events by livefeed with the convoy, and media outlets.
 The success and safety of the operation depends on it.

 If you are in Lebanon and want to sign up and join the convoy, contact
either:
 Rasha Salti. Email: convois.citoyens.sud.liban at gmail.com. Tel: +961 3 970
855
 Rania Masri. Email: rania.masri at balamand.edu.lb. Tel: +961 3 135 279 or
+961 6
 930 250 xt. 5683 or xt. 3933
 See the press release below.

 Please distribute as widely as you can. Thank you.

 Press Release- Lebanon: An Open Country for Civil Resistance
 Beirut August 7, 2006

 Press Contacts:
 Rasha Salti, +961 3 970855
 Huwaida Arraf, +961 70 974452
 Samah Idriss, +961 3 381349
 Wadih Al Asmar, +961 70 950780

 On August 12, at 7 am, Lebanese from throughout the country and
international
 supporters who have come to Lebanon to express solidarity will gather in
 Martyr's Square in Beirut to form a civilian convoy to the south of
Lebanon.
 Hundreds of Lebanese and international civilians will express their
solidarity
 with the inhabitants of the heavily destroyed south who have been bravely
 withstanding the assault of the Israeli military. This campaign is
endorsed by
 more than 200 Lebanese and international organizations. This growing
coalition
 of national and international non-governmental organizations hereby
launches a
 campaign of civil resistance for the purpose of challenging the cruel and
 ruthless use of massive military force by Israel, t he regional
superpower,
 upon the people of Lebanon.

 August 12 marks the start of this Campaign of Resistance, declaring
Lebanon an
 Open Country for Civil Resistance. August 12 also marks both the
international
 day of protest against the Israeli aggression .

 "In the face of Israel's systematic killing of our people, the
indiscriminate
 bombing of our towns, the scorching of our villages, and the attempted
 destruction of our civil infrastructure, we say No! In the face of the
forced
 expulsion of a quarter of our population from their homes throughout
Lebanon,
 and the complicity of governments and international bodies, we re-affirm
the
 acts of civil resistance that began from the first day of the Israeli
assault,
 and we stress and add the urgent need to act!," said Rasha Salti, one of
the
 organizers of this national event.

 After August 12, the campaign will continue with a series of civil
actions,
 leading to an August 19 civilian march to reclaim the South . "Working
 together, in solidarity, we will overcome the complacency, inaction, and
 complicity of the international community and we will deny Israel its goal
of
 removing Lebanese from their land and destroying the fabric of our
country,"
 explained Samah Idriss, writer and co-organizer of this campaign.

 "An international civilian presence in Lebanon is not only an act of
solidarity
 with the Lebanese people in the face of unparalleled Israeli aggression,
it is
 an act of moral courage to defy the will of those who would seek to
alienate
 the West from the rest and create a new Middle East out of the rubble and
blood
 of the region," said Huwaida Arraf, co-founder of the International
Solidarity
 Movement and campaign co-organizer. "After having witnessed the wholesale
 destruction of village s by Israel's air force and navy and having visited
the
 victims (so-called displaced) of Israel's policy of cleansing Lebanese
 civilians from their homes," continued Arraf, "it is imperative to go
south and
 reach those who have stayed behind to resist by steadfastly remaining on
their
 land."

 If you are in Lebanon and want to sign up and join the convoy, contact
either:
 Rasha Salti. Email: convois.citoyens.sud.liban at gmail.com. Tel: +961 3 970
855
 Rania Masri. Email: rania.masri at balamand.edu.lb. Tel: +961 3 135 279 or
+961 6
 930 250 xt. 5683 or xt. 3933
 If you are outside Lebanon and want to sign up and join the convoy, you
should
 know:
 1) You need to obtain a visa for Lebanon and for Syria if your plan is to
enter
 Lebanon from Syria.
 2) We don't have the funds to cover for the cost of your travel, however
we can
 help with finding accomodations.
 For questions and help for all internationals please contact Adam Shapiro
at:
adamsop at hotmail.com

 You can also sign up on our website: www.lebanonsolidarity.org

 This campaign is thus far endorsed by more than 200 organizations,
including:
 The Arab NGOs Network for Development (ANND), International Solidarity
Movement
 (ISM), Cultural Center for Southern Lebanon, Norwegian People's Aid,
Lebanese
 Center for Policy Studies, Lebanese Association for Democratic Elections,
 Frontiers, Kafa, Nahwa al-Muwatiniya, Spring Hints, Hayya Bina, Lebanese
 Transparency Association, Amam05, Lebanese Center for Civic Education,
Let's
 Build Trust, CRTD-A, Solida, National Association for Vocational Training
and
 Social Services, Lebanese Development Pioneers, Nadi Li Koul Alnas, and
 Lecorvaw.