[LCM Articles] Thanks Sen Chuck Hagel

Youssef J. Habbouche yhabbouche at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 23:33:40 EDT 2006

>From the Arab-American Insitute (message text, though not color, slightly edited). Please forward.

  Youssef

  On July 31, Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE) gave a thoughtful and passionate speech on the Senate floor calling for an immediate cease-fire in Lebanon.  Hagel, a leading voice on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, displayed the kind of leadership and courage Americans have been yearning for since this crisis began.

  "The sickening slaughter on both sides must end now. President Bush must call for an immediate cease fire. This madness must stop
The United States must focus all of its leadership and resources on ending this madness in the Middle East— now!"

  Senator Hagel also called for the Administration as well as the whole United States government to take a more balanced approach to Foreign Policy concerning the Middle East

  "Our relationship with Israel is a special and historic one. But, it need not and cannot be at the expense of our Arab and Muslim relationships. That is an irresponsible and dangerous false choice
 It is in Israel's interest, as much as ours, that the United States be seen by all states in the Middle East as fair. This is the currency of trust."

  It is vitally important that Senator Hagel hear from Arab Americans and all those who support a just peace.

  Call and tell Senator Hagel:

   I would like to thank you for your leadership and call for an immediate ceasefire;
   Thank you for advocating for a fair and just American foreign policy;
   Thank you for acknowledging the suffering of Iraqi, Palestinian, and Lebanese civilians
  If you are not a Nebraska resident , please call Sen. Hagel's Washington office at (202) 224-4224 and ask to speak with his foreign affairs staff.

  Call us and let us know about your success at (202) 429-9210.  Ask for Rebecca Abou-Chedid or Ryan Dunigan in Government Relations or e-mail us at rabouchedid at aaiusa.org