[LCM Articles] محول: Addendum

farha@fas.harvard.edu farha at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 22 08:12:03 EST 2005

Dear Wassim,

It was late at night and I was in a hurry, but I thought you might be able to
put one and one together and that this was a free forum.

If Clinton is serving Israel so "sincerely", one may be prone to cast at least
some doubt on the "depth" of his condolences regarding Hariri's murder.

All the more since he is claiming that Hariri sponsored 1559, something which
the latter always was intent on saying that Taif, not 1559, was his point of
reference, until the last minute:
http://www.assafir.com/iso/oldissues/20050214/front/137.html

I do not claim to know what exactly was Hariri's real position.
Clinton may be right on track, though his credibility might somewhat impair that
judgement, or at least its sincerity and goals.
After all, this is the fellow who tried to redefine "what the meaning of the
word is is" when explicating a rather basic, primitive activity:)

He claim that "Majority rule means peace" is about as credible as his
emphatic:"I did not have sex with that woman":).
As one friend of mine put it tenchantly:

"as for clinton, i am all up for what he proposes, but he does not know what
he'll be getting. syria w/o the alawis in power = sunni arab nationalists and
islamists: we could then open another anti-israeli front on the golan with an
indiginous syrian guerilla movement.  by then clinton will really not be able to
sleep as he'll have to get ready for the trenches ;)"

I have Syrian friends who long to see the brutal military thugs go in Syria, but
they also will voice some serious concern about the potential fallout of a
sudden coup.
As we have seen in Iraq, grand statements may translate into messy realities on
the ground.  These should at least be acknowledged, otherwise we might be
pulling another Wolfowitz and paying a high toll in blood and money for
these armchair warmongers.
Did Clinton really advance this panacea of "majority rule" in Saudi, Egypt,
Jordan, Pakistan or even Lebanon for that matter during his reign?  Maybe he
should have, but in fact he and his "not always all so bright" madame secretary
of state strengthened the authoritarian regimes.

So in short, I do not think one is doing the memory of Hariri any favors by
associating it with this ilk of two-faced, double-tongued politicians such as
"slick Willy".
More than anyone else in the past decade, Clinton, with his flouting of
international law, "bleeding heart" Zionism sealed by a plethora of single US
UN vetoes prepared the ground for the despair, terrorism and militancy in the
region... and arguably for such tragedies as Sept. 11.
This was just a reminder.

Peace,
Mark

Clinton offering his deepest condolences regarding Hariri brutal
assassination and Clinton serving Israel (Duh!)